Sunday, August 21, 2011

Green Tea Ice Cream

In Malaysia, I never thought of making own ice cream because they are really cheap. The cheapest one I could get it was RM1/pac from the groceries shop (that was really a long time ago). [My grandma, sis and I used to walk to the groceries shop, mainly was to get some ice cream. My grandma is a vanilla/corn ice-cream lover. Unbelievable right?]

I myself prefer green tea flavor (but not my  hubby, will make him choc ice cream next time), that was after my visit to Japan in 200X. You hardly find any green tea  ice cream in  the supermarket. Today, I finally made my own green tea ice cream and it's absolutely super duper easy [without using ice cream maker]

Ingredient:
2 tablespoons of green tea powder
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy (thickened) cream

Steps:
1. Mix the green tea powder with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in a bowl
2. Mix the egg yolks and remaining sugar in a separate bowl.
3. Gently heat the milk on pan (not to let it boil). Remove the milk from the heat and mix a few spoonfuls of the warm milk with the green tea powder and sugar in a small bowl. When you have a smooth paste, add it to the remaining milk in the pan, then gradually combine with the egg yolk mixture.
4. Return mixture to the stove and heat slowly over low heat (not let the mixture boil). Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
5. Lightly whip the cream and then add it to the cold green tea-milk mixture.
6. Transfer the mixture to a large container and then put it in the freezer. As ice crystals start to form, remove and mix well with a spoon (use a spoon to stir vigorously) to break them up and return the mixture to the freezer. Repeat this a few times as it freezes to ensure that the ice cream is smooth.


Note:
a. 2/3 cup of sugar seem a little sweet to me.
b. This recipe was adapted from Spoonful Blog.


Green tea powder from Busan- Too much expensive! 
The color of the powder seem much much lighter
[AUD7.69 for just 40g]


That's my masterpiece.....


I hope you'll like it....
Cheers..
>,<